Student Temps, including Student Work Study Temps
If you have identified a temporary candidate on your own, and would like to hire them, please follow the steps outlined below:
- Hiring Manager (or department representative) sends the Student Temp onboarding checklist to their candidate of choice.
- Following the instructions on the onboarding checklist, Temp completes all required steps and returns the completed paperwork to the Hiring Manager.
- Hiring Manager completes the bottom section of the Personal Data Form labeled “For Temporary Employees Only” and submits all completed paperwork for Student Temps to Barbara Beeuwsaert at email@example.com who will submit the request to HR operation via onBase.
- After candidate completes I-9 Section 2, the temp hire will be processed.
- It is the Student Work Study’s responsibility to return the completed Federal Work-Study Authorization Form to the Work-Study Office. The form must be completed by the student’s employer and returned to the Work-Study Office in order to be authorized. For more information on Work-Study employment opportunities, pleasevisit the Work-Study Program website.
If you have questions, please contact Barbara Beeuwsaert at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Non-Student Temps and Contractors
(includes independent contractors and contractors through 3rd party staffing agencies)
All requests for non-student temporary workers and contractors need to flow through the Position Management Process before work is performed.
Note: If the request is for a Non-Student Sourced Temp or Contractorand the Estimated Total Cost of Assignment is less than $2,000, or paid 70% to 100% from sponsored funding, complete the first page of theTemporary/Contractor Request Form and submit per the instructions on the form.
Following are the steps for hiring a temporary worker or contractor(assignment cost >$2,000; funding <70% from sponsored funds):
- Completes the Temporary/Contractor Request Form and attaches required documents
- Obtains appropriate Unit/Center Signatures (electronic signatures preferred)
- Sends Temporary/Contractor Request Form to Beth Abbott and Claire Landis
- OR Admin (Beth and Claire):
- Reviews the Temporary/Contractor Request Form for completeness and asks questions as necessary
- Forwards the Temporary/Contractor Request Form to Vice President for Research, Jay Walsh, for review and approval
- Sends Temporary/Contractor Request Form to The Position Approval Committee
- Position Approval Committee:
- Reviews request and issues a decision of Approved, Deferred, or Denied
- Requests a minimum 10-day turnaround for expected turnaround time
- Communicates decision to Office for Research (VPR, Claire, Beth)
If you have questions, please contact Beth Abbott
URICA/Office for Research Temp/Contractor Request Process Flow