Extended Sick Time Salary Relief
Departments with staff or faculty members on a Hartford-approved medical leave (EST) can request Extended Sick Time Salary Relief from central HR
Biweekly Regular Employees: Extended Sick pay will be charged automatically to a central benefits pool; nothing further needs to be done.
Exempt Staff and Faculty: Extended Sick pay will be charged to the department initially, but may be recovered from the benefits pool using the process below.
- The employee’s medical leave must be for the employee’s own illness, and must be approved by The Hartford.
- Research faculty and Feinberg clinical faculty leaves currently are not covered under this process.
- The department is responsible for salary payment during the 5-day waiting period before EST.
- A myHR Admin Deployed Funding user in the department must enter a Payroll Journal in FASIS to recover the funding incurred during EST (charge the Extended Sick Pool: 120-1130001).
- Requests for salary relief must be initiated within 90 days of the date the employee’s leave began (for monthly employees).
- If an employee leaves again within 90 days of their return, there is no 5-day waiting period.
- Salary relief is not available for:
- Requests received outside the 90-day time period
- FMLA only leaves:
- Birth and Adoption Parental Leave (BAPL)
- Intermittent/Continuous medical or family care leaves
- Non-FMLA/EST medical leaves
Family Medical Leave
Responsibilities of Managers and Employees
The Family Medical Leave Act of 1993 (FMLA), that falls under a division of the US Department of Labor, was enacted to provide employees with up to 12 weeks of job protection while caring for their own serious health condition, care for a family member’s serious health condition, and military leave. Supervisors and managers need to document this time for the protection of their employees. Proper compliance is essential since FMLA regulations hold the employer responsible for ensuring that employees are aware of their FMLA rights. Northwestern University, as a covered employer under this federally mandated program, must ensure that managers are aware of our compliance responsibilities.
Managers have certain responsibilities on behalf of Northwestern University, which include:
- Report extended absences of over 5 days to the Benefits Division. The Benefits Division will follow up with the employee to see if a Leave of Absence is needed.
- Do not request medical information from the employee. The employee will communicate any needed medical information directly to the Leave Administrator in the Benefits Division.
- Do not discuss Leave details with other employees.
- Do not allow employees to return to work after a medical leave without a release to work from the Benefits Division.
Supervisors must approve both time sheets for biweekly employees and leave accruals for exempt employees using the Kronos Time System.
- Kronos Time Entry for Biweekly Employees:
Northwestern University’s Kronos is used to record time for all biweekly staff and temporary employees. Access to Kronos is only available on campus not including the dorms unless using VPN.
-Need to change the approver for Kronos Timecard/Leave Accrual? Please contact Barbara Beeuwsaert
- Kronos Exempt Staff Leave Accruals:
–Time off for each month must be completed by the tenth day of the following month, and must receive manager approval by the fifteenth day.
– Need to change the approver for Kronos Timecard/Leave Accrual? Please contact Barbara Beeuwsaert
- Recording Part-Time and Flex-Time Schedules (only for exempt staff employees):
Employees who work part-time or work full-time with a flex schedule must submit a Monthly Employee Part-Time or Flexible Schedule Form to HR. This will allow employees to enter a day off in Kronos and accurately record half and full-day absences associated with their daily schedules
Questions: please contact Barbara Beeuwsaert, or
Kronos Help Desk
Phone: 847-467-7606 / Email: email@example.com
Hours: Monday-Friday, 8am-5pm
Manager Resources Performance Review
Northwestern is introducing a new and online Performance Excellence experience effective with the current performance year. New Performance Excellence incorporates best practices and the results of thoughtful collaboration and feedback from partners across the University.
Feel free to bookmark perform.northwestern.edu for tools and resources, as well as myHR Learn to access the online experience. In addition to the many tools and training webinars, we are introducing emails that feature short videos to help you become more familiar with New Performance Excellence.
myHR – Additional Pay Requests
Please refer to the Additional Pay process and workflow chart.
Questions? Please contact Barbara Beeuwsaert.
myHR – Reports To
To change the approver for Conflict of Interest (COI), Performance, Training (Learning & Development), Performance, Kronos Timecard/Leave Accrual and Expenses, please contact Barbara Beeuwsaert.
myHR - Self Service
To obtain access to myHR Admin (for UR Centers only)
Please complete and submit the myHR General Access to Barbara Beeuwsaertbefore attending the myHR Training. http://www.northwestern.edu/hr/managers-administrators/myhr-administration/index.html
How are new NetIDs for Faculty and Staff Created?
The NetID will allow the employee to access the Kronos Time System and other applications.
Once a new faculty, staff member or temporary employee is hired in FASIS, a NetID is generated for them within 24-48 hours. Barbara Beeuwsaert, NetID Coordinator for OR Admin, contacts the new employee’s supervisor with instructions on how to access the “Activate Your NetID” page.
Each Center should designate a NetID Coordinator. Please contact Barbara Beeuwsaert.
If you have questions relating to your NetID or password, contact the NUIT Support Center at: 847-491-HELP (4357) or firstname.lastname@example.org
Payroll Expenses Reports (PED- Cognos/Vista)
Payroll Expenses Reports are sent to Directors upon request to Barbara Beeuwsaert.